
I don't know whether you want to call me brave of stupid, but I volunteered to host 16 boys at our house for a weekend. I figured I would go with boys, because I could only imagine what it would be like for that many girls to try to get ready for church at our house. So, boys it was. We were to provide a place to stay, and some of their meals. They were here to study the Passion for Purity, and True love Waits curriculum. Oh my, I'm not sure I knew what I was getting in too. When they arrived on Friday night, they dropped their stuff, then they headed out to see what they could get into. We were amazed as we watched them pull down a Kudzu vine and begin to swing across our creek like Tarzan. Then, it was on to our children's toys. We learned how fast a tricycle and wagon can fly down our driveway. They would start at the top on the tricycle, then the goal became to jump off before they fell in the creek. It was amusing to say the least. Also, on Friday night at about 1:00 a.m. there was a football game going on in the front yard, along with a guitar player and singers on the front porch. We were amazed that no one called the police. They all finally crashed around 4 a.m. We got up at 6 to prepare their breakfast. Around noon they headed to the church. They arrived back at our house around 7 pm for dinner. They just about ate us out of house and home. We were supposed to feed them on $50. Can we just say that didn't happen. After a few sessions, they were back at playing. I laughed when my neighbor called around 11:30 to say that it was really sad that I couldn't keep 10th graders off of my preschoolers toys. They eventually picked up one of our favorite pastimes, box sliding. They got pretty good at it, and that's what they were doing when I fell asleep. When I woke up, I found that 6 of them had slept outside. When I went downstairs, and got a smell of the basement I quickly understood why. I'm still battling the stinch that they left.
It was an adventure, and we had a blast. It was great to see the kids make a commitment during a ring ceremony at chuch on Sunday Night to stay pure until they get married. I know statistics show that most of them will break this commitment, but I am praying for each of those boys that they will truly have a passion for purity.
3 comments:
I'm so glad you posted this. As a mother to one of those crazy boys, I just want to say thanks. You and Paul are a true treasure. I know that my child's excitement comes from the many things you guys do with them.
In Him,
Ann
Hey thanks for your email earlier. I think you guys are exactly what we are looking for. After seeing that you would volunteer for this, I think your up to anything! You all seem like such a blessing to so many people. I haven't heard anything but good things about you guys, and I look forward to meeting you in the coming weeks! Oh yeah, I heard you can run a killer golf tournament with your eyes closed, is that true?
Kimberly Taylor
Atlanta, GA
I still can't believe you did this. I'm not sure if you are stupid or brave. Whichever, we love ya like you are!
Kim
Post a Comment