Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The $5 Christmas...So Fun!

Starting in October, the kids started diligently praying to be able to adopt a little girl whose face we had just been drawn too. It looked like for a long time that wouldn't be a reality, but we secretly hoped it would be! All three of them agreed that they would just ask Santa to bring her for them instead of receiving any gifts (that melts the heart of this mother, just so you know.) Every year, our kids are allowed to ask for three things, they open three gifts just like Jesus got three gifts from the wise men. This really helps me to keep Christmas focused on the right thing instead of the wrong thing. So this year, when we realized that adopting Hope could be a reality, the kids instantly were willing to give up Christmas and donate any money that would have been spent to bringing her home. However, still wanting to do something, but realizing that the budget is tight, I decided we should do $5 gifts. They had so much fun shopping for things they might want that cost $5. I was so proud of them for their choices as each one of them picked something that they will truly love and value. I have never seen this much anticipation as they had about seeing what $5 gifts they got. We had so much fun, and I am proud that my kids were just simply grateful to be getting anything at all! They know that the true miracle of this Christmas is that they will get to share their lives with another sister. They have been warned that by adding another sister, they will have to do without some wants, but their hearts are so big, that the desire to give is greater than the desire to have! I love my family!

4 comments:

paul-and-lori said...

Congratulations!!
I am moved by this Christmas post. What a wonderful way to teach your children what is truly important in this life! A precious gift that money could never have bought.
Praying the Lord's blessings on your family and your adoption journey!
Lori King

Ashley said...

I am so thrilled for you guys! And your family is just precious. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

the pictures of your kiddos are AWESOME... very creative...how sweet of your kid to be willing to give up something to bring hope home...you've done a wonderful job teaching them what is truly important in this world.
andrea

NannyMD said...

Wow. That is really all I can say. Wow!

You have really raised your children up right that they have such compassion and willingness to sacrafice for the good of the family.

I just wanted to say congrats to you for doing an amazing job as a mother.


:)