The greatest rewards are sometimes the smallest! A few weeks ago, on a hurried Sunday morning, Paul went out to dump the bacon grease, he came in and got me and showed me a helpless little baby squirrel laying on the ground. We decided to leave it there while we ate breakfast in hopes that the mom would come to fetch it and put it safely back in the nest which was 40 feet up in the tree. After breakfast, there it still was, so I scooped it up and warmed up some almond milk for it since that was all I had. It ate and I put it in a nice warm shoe box while we headed off to church. At church I told my sweet friend Kim about it, and she texted a friend of hers who has raised them before. When we got home from church Kim's friend Leigh was already waiting for us. She took the pitiful baby we had named Squirmy, and vowed to try her hardest. I really wish I had taken a picture of Squirmy then. She had little to no hair, and her eyes were still closed. Two days later, two more baby squirrels came falling from the nest. By this time, I had located the dead mother in the road, so I drove these two to Leigh too. We named those Squealy and Scaredy. Scaredy ended up going to be with Jesus, but the other two are doing great. So, I promised the kids we would go up to the vet school for a visit if everyone had a good week. They were so excited for Friday to come so they could go visit the babies.

We were shocked to see that Squealy was this big and climbing all over us!
Hunter took to Squirmy, he had Squirmy curled up in a little ball in his hands for half an hour or so. Squirmy looks so good and so healthy.
LeeLee enjoyed Squealy. She loved on her. Noelle and Hope went on an adventure and found a three legged dog to play with. I eventually had to drag them and myself out of that place. It warmed our hearts to see how precious and how well our babies were doing, it was a great reward for a long week!
2 comments:
Do you remember the squirrel I raised in Montgomery...Byron? I still think about him : )
jenna...i swear you and i are out of the same mold...we are alway caring for some kind of wounded or abandoned animal...kent will often say "no, more" i keep on doing what i do best caring for animals, children & people...isn't that are Godly gift jenna ;)
last year at this time we were in beijing enjoying the sites awaiting to fly to hohhot IM to get our girls...it still seem crazy to me that it's been a year since we were in china....i want to go back NOW!
andrea
Post a Comment