Thursday, May 24, 2012

They Made It 145/365

I guess there wasn't really a question about LeeLee making it, making it to second grade that is.  After all I think she only brought home five papers all year that she didn't make a 100 on.  And let me tell you, she is hard on herself when she doesn't do something perfect.  She loves a challenge, and she hates failure.  That is what makes her such a great student and athlete.  Hope on the other hand was the one that we worried about.  She just really hasn't taken to school work all that well.  I asked at the beginning of the year about testing her for special education, but they wanted to do ESL services first.  So, we went with that path, and she unfortunately has fallen farther behind.  So finally Monday, all of her testing was completed, and we were set to have our meeting.  I braced myself, knowing that they were going to label her Mentally Retarded.  Being a special education teacher myself, I have had to give that label before.  I also live in reality instead of fairy tale land, so I knew exactly what the results of the tests were going to say.  I also knew that hearing them say it was going to sting a little even though it is something I already know.  So, I sat as they went over the test results.  I looked at the non verbal IQ results knowing exactly what they meant, I listened as they explained to me that she has significant discrepancies, and I waited for the words........that never came.  Hope clearly qualifies for services under the label that I really didn't want attached to her, but instead of using that one, they decided to label her OHI.  That is other health impaired.  I was a little stunned, because frankly, I would have given her the other label, but I think they were trying to be generous.  I am grateful.  This gives my precious girl three more years to not be defined.  This label though grants her access to all the help that she needs in the school as she moves forward to the second grade.  Her work won't be the same as everyone else, but she will be moving on.  I have requested that the girls be put in the same class next year.  They are not competitive at all with one another, and LeeLee is good for Hope.  I think it will honestly be a win win for both of them.  I am truly proud of how far Hope has come.  I realize though that we still have lots of struggles ahead of us.  I am so happy to have her home this summer so I can teach her.  She is such a pleasant student, so hopefully soon I will post about her reading.  Nothing would make me happier!

No comments: