Today I took three kiddos for a quick trip to Atlanta. It was a great day because we were celebrating my great aunt's 90th birthday. Aunt Berta has always been special to me. Up until just a few years ago, I always got a card from her on my birthday. When I had Noelle, she even kept up with sending cards for her. When I was little, I used to spend a week in the summer with my grandmother. One of the highs of that trip would be when Aunt Berta and her late husband, Uncle Bones, would pick me up to spend the night at their house. I loved their house. It was generally just me, so they would invest all of their attention in me, and there was never a dull moment. She taught me how to knit and he taught me how to play putt putt. I still adore this lady! Her statement of the day was, "I just want to wake up dead one day." I am hoping that she doesn't do that....or you know, not wake up one day because I would love to do this all over again in another 10 years.
Hope was funny when I told her where we were going. She had never met my Aunts and Uncles, and the rest of the extended family. To her, family was the people in our house and my mom. That was it. I don't think she even really gets that my brother is part of the family, so imagine her surprise and wonder when she realized that there were twenty two new people to meet today, and that they were all family. She ate it up. She soaked it all in and tried her best to play with anyone who would give her time. All the way home she talked about her "new family."
You may notice Noelle is missing. She is still sick. She stayed home to rest today with the hope that she will be well for camp on Monday. Prayers are appreciated. She is going to be devastated if she doesn't make it to camp.


No comments:
Post a Comment