Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Sun Rises 201/365

Each new day, the sun rises.  We never set alarms.  We were either woken up by chants coming from the band members outside, or kids knocking on our door because they were ready to see the people they were falling in love with.

Thursdays can be a hard day.  You have the opportunity to share your life story with both your translator and your kids.  With older orphans, this can get deep for them.  I charted my life first.  I laid it all out there, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  What is most interesting when you lay your life out on paper is to see both the kids and the translator learn for the first time that life in America isn't perfect.  We don't all just have perfect lives because we live in what they think is the promised land.  While listening to my story, I watched as Susan began to let her guard down for the first time.  When it was her turn, she opened up.  I won't share her story, as it is not mine to share, but she let us in to see a glimpse of where she came from, and why she struggles.  I choked back tears and stayed strong for her, but this was our turning point.  Here it was, Thursday, and she finally decided to let me in.
Sasha, my translator, also learned so much throughout the week.  She is a precious child of God.  She loves the Lord with all her heart, and couldn't wait to tell me so when we met.  She radiated that love throughout the week especially when dealing with Susan.  At first Susan was all about Sasha, then just as quick as she let her in, she shut her out.  Because of Susan's disability, it was physically tough taking care of her, and with Susan not wanting help from Sasha, things got rough.  I had to help Rebekah one day and when I got back to the room Sasha was in tears.  I was able to walk her through the pain that kids like Susan have been through and enlighten her as to why Susan would close her emotions off so quickly.  We talked about how God continues to love us even when we are unlovely, and how that is what we were to do.  She continued to love on Susan despite it all, and I got to watch her spiritually grow.  Sasha truly was such a blessing to me throughout the week.
During nap time, we needed an adventure.  We took the public bus and went to the local store.  I was so excited to find Oreos, potato chips, and sprite.  It was so worth it!  We rode home for around a dollar  in a tiny taxi.
I think I ate half the oreos as quick as I could.  It was nice to have something familiar!
We ended Thursday night with a talent show.  Our little family group performed If Your Happy and You Know It, in Mandarin.  I was the only one that struggled with that one, but we made it through just fine.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 2Corinthians 1:3-4

No comments: