I can't believe that 5 years ago today, we were standing in a civil affairs office on the other side of the world anxiously awaiting to be handed a child, a gift greater than any other, my daughter. I knew I loved her before I ever saw her. My heart hurt with a longing to meet her. I had prayed for her for so long, and the reality that we were going to finally be together was so overwhelming. The moment the nanny turned the corner with the most precious cargo in her arms, my heart leapt. At that moment LeeLee and I locked eyes....at that moment she was mine, and I was hers. She dove out of her nanny's arms directly into mine....she was home.
When we first got her home I took this picture. I loved it so much that every year I take a picture in the same spot. It is my comparison picture.
Five years has changed so much. It's not only the height, weight, hair length, and teeth that have changed. So much more has. LeeLee has always been strong willed, stubborn, and what you might call a pistol. I so naively tried to raise her like I did my other children. I overlooked the fact that she had a tender heart full of little wholes that needed to be mended. By looking at her from the outside she seemed so strong, physically and mentally. Strong enough to manipulate all those around her, even when they didn't realize they were being manipulated. I had to do a one eighty and change my tactics with her, and when I did, we started truly enjoying each other. Her emotional strength has blossomed. She is still strong willed, but in every way, she is such a blessing. I so enjoy the spice of life that she brings to our family.
I am thankful that God called us when he did to adopt. I am thankful that he made it clear we were to go to China. I am thankful for all the snafus with our paperwork. I am thankful that the Chinese Government slowed down their referrals so that our paperwork and LeeLee's would hit the desk at the same time. I am thankful that my husband has a rounded head that matched LeeLee's referral picture. I am thankful that she maintained stable health that until we arrived. Can you tell? I am thankful! My precious girl is an amazing blessing in every way....I remind myself of this as a walk by a new wall that has been hit by our phantom artist....no need to clean it, she may be famous someday. I love you my precious girl! Thanks for coming home!
4 comments:
What darling photos.....the time goes so quickly doesn't it! Seems like David was just getting off that plane from Korea, and that was almost ten years ago! WOW!
LeeLee has a beautiful smile. Love it!
LouiseMe from RQ--just had to check out your blog after our shared Disney love. Your girls are so gorgeous--your guys too! What a great blog!
This is so sweet! She is a beauty and it is clear your family has been blessed. Would you be willing to let us repost this on "We Are Grafted In" (www.weraregraftedin.com)? If so, we would just need a short bio and a picture of you. Feel free to contact me with questions!
Stephanie (smurphy28@juno.com)
beautiful!
Post a Comment