I love the 4th of July. I have always loved fireworks, I love patriotism, I love my country, and I love celebrating. However, when I look at my family, I get a little misty eyed on Independence Day. The freedoms that our country allows are such blessings. With this being Hope's first year celebrating the fourth, I can't help but think how her life is dramatically changed because of the freedoms our country allows. We had the freedom to adopt internationally. She had the freedom to come to the United States as our daughter, and to be a citizen of this country that we call home. Because of those two freedoms, she will have so many more freedoms, some of which she has already experienced, and some yet to come.
To celebrate the 4th, we headed to the water park this morning. We left around lunch time and had the kids get bathed. I snuck in three quick hair cuts, since their hair was clean. We then had mandatory nap time. Somehow, I didn't get mine, but there was quite a bit of sleeping going on.
After naps, we had the perfect cold watermelon to wake everyone up. They love watermelon. It was devoured in no time. After watermelon, we cleaned up (again) and walked down the street to the fireworks celebration.
I have been talking up the fireworks to Hope because if you all will remember, she was terrified of the fireworks in China. I kept telling her how beautiful they were, and she just kept saying, "I don't like it the fireworks Mommy." I just reassured her again and again that they were just wonderful.
So, I was impressed when she actually sat in Paul's lap and watched them. She was very content, not really scared at all. I was so proud of her, but I still think she is questioning why we call them "fun."
We walked back home and everyone did sparklers in the front yard before turning in for the night.
I feel so blessed to look at this picture of four happy kids, and to know that they will all be afforded the great things that this nation has to offer. I pray that they each value and respect the opportunities that lie ahead of them.




2 comments:
Your kids are what I would call "postcard children," I love that you answered God's call to bring the girls home so they can enjoy the freedom that America has to offer. Thanks for sharing.
Much Love,
Karen
I got misty eyed reading this post!! It's impossible to take freedom for granted when we look at our precious children.
Post a Comment