For those of you that know me, you will know that my animals are almost ranked as high as my children. I love them, they are my babies. They vacation with me. I worry about them when I am not with them. I am a little eccentric when it comes to my fur babies (I come by it honestly.) We had a tragic accident in our house where my precious Lulu (7lb yorkie poo) let her anxiety get the best of her, and it led to her death. To say I was devastated is an understatement. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, and didn't want to talk to anyone. I didn't want to leave the house, yet alone take a shower. She was just that special to me. The kids were all grieving too. Everyone had a sense of guilt, and everyone had a whole in their heart. I had to claim to my life verse of Romans 8:28 to be able to face each passing day. I was trying so hard to be strong for my kids, and to put on a brave face, but it was to hard and still at times is. I love the sweet whispers reminding me that there are tons of animals languishing in shelters that also need homes. I knew that to even begin to move on, we would need something to fill the void left by my beloved. I am one of those who is willing to drive over the mountains and through the woods to find the perfect companion, so as I searched petfinder, I expanded my search. I had looked at a few thousand dogs when I came across a 7 pound yorkie poo in Atlanta named Pippa. Something about her put her at the top of my list. We sent an inquiry about her, and visited our local rescue organizations in the meantime. We met some real contenders, but I just couldn't let the thought of Pippa go. I wanted to meet her first.
So, Pippa's foster mom called me and we talked about Pippa for a couple of hours. I learned Pippa's story. The picture above is of her when she was turned into the DeKalb Animal Services in Atlanta. Because this is a high kill shelter without the funding for rehab and medical care, they put out a plea to find a rescue organization willing to take her. Georgia Humane Society stepped in to provide the care she needed. Pippa's hair was so matted that it was growing into her skin. She had open sores in some places, and the pads of her feet were all bleeding. Her old owners abusers, turned her in because they said she was aggressive. Pippa's foster mom said that she had seen no signs of aggression, and they she was really the most delightful little thing, always looking for a lap to sit in. The more we talked, the more she described exactly what my heart needed. She was describing my Lulu, but without the severe anxiety issues. I decided that we needed to meet Pippa. The most important family member to meet her would of course be Rags, because he needed to be okay, so Rags, Noelle, my mom, and I headed to Atlanta to meet little miss Pippa. Rags did great, and Noelle and I fell in love.


2 comments:
I cannot wait to meet her!!! She is just precious! I will come by as soon as I am back in town.
I've been praying for you sweet friend. I'm glad that you have Pippa. :)
What a cutie pie ms. pippa..the perfect companion never has less then 4 feet ;0)
congrats to the sander's family and i know pippa feels like a queen now.
Post a Comment