Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Where Do I Live Again?

Last time I checked, I lived smack dab in the middle of the city.  However, all the creatures of the country must know that I am a country girl at heart, and they are showing up regularly.  And unfortunately for some of them, they just aren't welcome here.  We have a small urban chicken coop in the back yard.  It is great for teaching the kids responsibility, and about food production.  However, since they have arrived, we have seen some wildlife we didn't anticipate.  My opossum friends keep coming around, so I humanely trap them and move them to a large wooded park where they are safer and can find more food.  This is the first of three that we have trapped.  This is the smallest one.  We give them all names and send them on their way.
This fellow on the other hand, doesn't quite need to be in the middle of the city.  Let's just say I was a little more than shocked to discover this one (I didn't kill it, it got hit by a car.)  Now we have a new threat which doesn't just want the chickens, it also wants my dogs.  We now have a nice sized pack of coyotes.  I haven't caught a picture of them yet, but they are letting their increasing presence be known.  I went out around 5 a.m. with the dogs.  I turned my back on Pippa for just a second to watch Annie, and one started across the street towards Pippa.  I screamed and waved my arms and got to Pippa first to scoop her up, but it terrified me. I got Annie and Rags in as quick as possible.  They are making me nervous as they are getting increasingly aggressive in the city since their isn't as much food here for them.  They have been attacking dogs on leashes, so I'm not a happy city dweller right now.

No comments: