Thursday, January 12, 2012

So Loved! 12/365

Sometimes in life, we pick things that are special to us, sometimes, things pick us.  For Hope, since day one with us, she has had her special LaLan.  I searched for a soft baby doll that was light weight, that I could squish into her backpack full of goodies that we were to give her on forever family day.  One of the only ones I could find that didn't look to babyish was this Licorice doll by Corelle.  I was a little apprehensive since she had purple stripes in her hair, but I did think she was cute.  Hope's eyes started gleaming when she saw this doll.  Within the first hour, she had a name, LaLan (I can assure you I am not spelling it correctly, it is a Mandarin name, and it meant something to Hope.) That very first night, I tenderly tucked her in with our new daughter.
In China, LaLan and Hope were inseparable.  LaLan went to every meal, every tour, and on every plane, train, and automobile.  I love the picture above of Hope helping LaLan to walk through the Inner Mongolian museum.  She cared for LaLan in such a tender way.  Once home, LaLan has still remained a constant in sweet Hope's life.
So, here we are sixteen quick months later, and here is LaLan.  She is looking a little rough.  She doesn't have the kind of hair you can brush, so it is all matted.  Her face is caked with dirt.  And best of all, you can tell she is loved.  Hope propped her up this morning on this letter mailer.  Here, she will patiently wait for Hope to come home from school so their daily adventures can begin.  I know that Hope will one day forget to include LaLan in her day, and one night, LaLan won't be needed anymore.  But, I treasure these precious days where there is a little magic between a girl and her special doll. For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1

1 comment:

andrea said...

i remember lalan...i also remember how much hope loved her....she ate with us for several meals....took several plane rides & bus rides....very cool that hope still loves her so much.

andrea