Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Missing Shoe 108/365

As a mother of four children, I often try to streamline things so we can get stuff done without wasting to much time.  One of my ingenious thoughts was to put a huge basket by the front door and have everyone throw their shoes in there.  I haven't minded that I have a hideously overflowing basket by the front door, because if you know me well, you will know I am not out to impress, I'm more concerned with functionality.  For three of my four children, the basket has worked.  When we are running out of the door Noelle, Hunter, and LeeLee can quickly grab their shoes, and we are off.  Hope, sweet Hope, just can't seem to figure out why her shoes are never in the shoe bin.  I guess it doesn't occur to her that they aren't in there because SHE NEVER PUTS THEM IN THERE!  I continually remind her that her shoes need to go in the bin, but she just doesn't follow through.  I tell you, I have lost all compassion for her on our morning rush hour when she can't find her shoes.  I used to help her locate them, but no more.  She could not find one single pair of matching shoes that were school worthy, so I had to send her in her church sandals.  That is a no no for the school dress code, but I was desperate.  I informed her that when she got home from school that she must locate at least one of the missing shoes so she would have a pair to wear the next day.  She got home and I sent her looking.  She looked and looked.  For three and one half hours, she looked.  Then finally she located one of the missing shoes.  I felt bad that it took her so long, but I think she learned her lesson.  When I asked her where the sandals were that she wore to school, she looked at me and said, "They are in the shoe bin momma, where else would they be!"  She said it with some sass too!  Hopefully this lesson will span across time and she will continue to put her shoes in the shoe bin.

No comments: