Sunday, April 29, 2012

Our Fine Feathered Friends 120/365

I get tons of questions about our urban chicken farming adventure, so I thought I would put some pictures with all the stories.  
When we went out to the chicken farm to pick out chickens, I was well aware that they wouldn't just be yard birds, but they would be our pets.  Sure enough, they are.  We have learned so much about each chicken's personality.  Each one is well suited for the child that picked them.
This is Marigold.  She was the one chicken that I knew I wanted when we visited the farm.  She, like Noelle, is the momma hen.  She keeps the others in line.  Marigold is sweet, but serious.
This is London.  She is so a curious little thing.  She is a little hyper as she is the one that likes to run around in circles the most. She is sweet though, and loves to cuddle once you pick her up.
Hope's chicken in Lilly.  Lilly is the sweetest chicken of all the girls.  She is a little slower moving than the rest, so she is the easiest to be caught.  The other chickens have labeled her the lowest chicken in the rankings, and unfortunately, she gets hen pecked by the others.  Lilly is perfect for Hope, because she allows Hope to pick her up and she settles right in.
This is Easter, she is a mess!  She is the one that is always stirring up trouble.  When she does something well, she squawks so loud that all the neighbors know that she is boasting.  She is also the chicken that tries her best to escape.  Noelle and I call her Sketchy instead of Easter.  She is great for Hunter though....he is the only one that can catch her, and he enjoys running to see what kind of drama she is creating. 

Our chickens get to run free now.  We put up some deer netting on top of the fence that keeps the hawks out.  They are locked up tight at night, so our only real concern at this point is snakes.  I'm sure if one comes that Easter will be sure to let me know.  

I really am thankful for the many lessons that these chickens have taught my kids.  I again would recommend raising chickens to any family.  

Ni Hao Yall

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a fun family project. Here from Sunday Snapshot.

Stefanie said...

You make chickens sound awesome! My Asher has been wanting to raise a few - and now I might have to reconsider ;)

*Todd, Kim and Tyler* said...

Love it.. Love following you guys. We need to see a pic of your backyard so we can have the full visual effect. :)

Unknown said...

I love your chickens! : ) How much fun is that. I remember that my Daddy had chickens when we were growing up. They were brown egg layers. Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks. Thanks for bringing back the memory tonight. Your kids are too cute for words!

andrea said...

i've wanted chickens for years....kent won't allow it UGH we live on acreage it would be perfect!
we do have coyote and hawks but we could always cover the area, right/