Friday, June 08, 2012

A Mystery 160/365

You may remember that I mentioned at the beach that Noelle was sick.  Then she missed out on my great aunt's party because she was sick.  We took her to the urgent care on Sunday, and we were shocked when she tested positive for strep.  In a way it was a blessing because she would be able to get in three doses of antibiotics before she left for camp.  That is the beauty of strep, after 24 hours you are ready to hit the world again.  So we sent her on to camp.  It was only a half week so she would be home on Wednesday. (She had a great time by the way.)  After I picked her up, we headed to the doctor with Hunter who was sick but didn't look like he had strep,  he also tested positive.  So our favorite doctor decided to test the little girls too, wouldn't you know it, they were both positive.  Thursday, Noelle couldn't stay awake.  She could barely get out of bed, and by 6 p.m. she had a rash completely covering her arms and legs. Paul came and picked her up and rushed her to meet our doctor.  He was baffled, but decided that maybe it was mono.  Mono can give a false positive to strep, and the rash did look similar.  However, we got the test results back, and she does not have mono.  We have switched strep antibiotics, because we are trying to make sure that is isn't developing an allergic reaction to penicillin like her dad.
This is the rash that has covered her arms and legs.  It does not itch.  It is not like a sunburn, it is blotchy, and her skin is very hot to the touch.  She literally can not stay awake.  Yesterday she was awake for about two hours, today for about six.  I don't worry easily, but I am worried.  I am waking up every thirty minutes just to check her.  Right now, we are praying for answers.  She has been sick for a week and a half now.  If you have a clue as to what it could be, feel free to speak up.  In the meantime, we would love and appreciate your prayers.

2 comments:

Christy and Kevin said...

So sorry she is sick! We have been following you blog for a while. I am including a link about the rash you described. It sounds like a Scarlet Fever rash. Hope she gets well soon. Prayers for her and your family.

Christy

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/scarlet_fever.html

Cheri said...

I wish I had an answer for you. I will be praying for your daughter. I am the same way with my kids. I don't get too worried until something really strange starts happening. Keep us posted.