This is Snoopy. Snoopy came to live with me over 13 years ago. Her story is long and takes some twists and turns, but I think it is worth retelling.
My husband worked for a place that sells mobile homes. To my northern friends, that is a trailer. The lot was filled with them. He worked long hours there, so I often visited. I will never forget the day that I pulled in and saw a small little rat terrier running through the lot. I assumed it was probably headed home, so I investigated. There was no way I was going o get close enough to catch her, she was fast and determined. I came back several days in a row to look for her, and every day I would spot her under another trailer. It became apparent that she was a stray. It also quickly became apparent that she was pregnant, as her belly was expanding everyday. I tried my best to befriend her. I brought food and treats for a few weeks trying my best to gain her trust, but anytime I made a move towards her she would dash in the opposite direction. I quickly gave her the name Dasher. Her belly continued to grow, I mean really grow and I became increasingly concerned for her health since she was so little.
I consulted with my vet, and he gave me some knock out pills for her. I assembled a group of about five people to help me. I put the drugs into some canned food which I knew she would devour. Then we waited the recommended thirty minutes we each took a post around the trailer she was under so she wouldn't be able to escape. I guess I shouldn't leave out the fact that the drugs he gave us was enough to knock out a 75lb dog. She was asleep so I eased my way under the trailer, and when I was about three feet from her she shot up like a bolt of lightening and ran just as fast as she always had. Granted she couldn't run in a straight line, it was a little like she was drunk, but she escaped all of my helpers. They all gave up, but there was no way I could give up. Dasher needed me, she just didn't know it.
I called my friends, the Whatleys, who always had all sorts of contraptions on their farm and asked if they had an animal trap. Why yes they did, one that was big enough to catch a bob cat they said. So I went out to pick it up. I was concerned when I realized it had a giant steel guillotine type door, but I didn't have any other options, so I took it in hopes of catching the elusive Dasher. I apprehensively set it up with more wet food inside. Once I set it up I had to walk away because I was terrified that the door would cut her head off since she is so fast. Paul checked the trap for me about five minutes after I checked it, and sure enough Dasher had finally been caught. Everyone came out to get a look at the dog that had been so quick on her feet. And to every one's amazement, when I opened the trap, Dasher melted into my arms.
I took her home and she made herself at home right in the middle of my bed. She was such a nervous little thing, so the other dogs had her on edge, but she was just precious. The next day she headed off to the vet where an x-ray revealed that the four puppies growing inside her were already to large for her to give birth to. The vet explained that she and the puppies would both die if we didn't abort the puppies then. She went into surgery that day and came back to my house the next. She was with me for several weeks as I tried to help her overcome some of her fears.
My husband kept mentioning that the dog looked exactly like his Aunt Mildred's dog that she had while they were growing up. So we took a picture of Dasher and faxed it to his Aunt in Texas, and for her it was love at first sight. A few weeks later, we loaded Dasher up and headed for Dallas in what was to be a dream relationship for the two of them. Aunt Mildred changed Dasher's name to Snoopy, and the two of them were inseparable. Mildred cooked for Snoopy and in return, Snoopy became Mildred's best friend. Snoopy didn't share Mildred well. In fact no one else in the family besides Mildred and I liked Snoopy. We both adored her! Paul and I haven't been back to Dallas in 11 years, so it has been that long since I have seen Snoopy. But every time Mildred and I talked, we always had conversations about our favorite subject, Snoopy.
About a year ago, Aunt Mildred's health began to decline, and it became obvious that Snoopy might outlive her. She was concerned because she knew how everyone else felt, so we reassured her that if anything ever happened to her that Snoopy would be well taken care of. She didn't want Snoopy to be a casualty of her own death. We made our promises that Snoopy would be given the chance at a good life, and turns out we have had to keep that promise. As I was packing to go to China this summer we got the call the Aunt Mildred had gone to be with our Creator. I was slightly panicked because I knew I wouldn't be headed to Texas for the funeral, and it was important for me to keep the promise to her. So, I made sure that Paul was prepared to bring Snoopy home with him when he came. He did great and got Snoopy home from Texas. My mom was great knowing that I wasn't home to help with any transitions(dogs and kids), so she was at my house waiting for Snoopy when Paul arrived home. Snoopy went to live with her.
Friday Snoopy came to my house and it is the first time I have seen her in over 11 years. I know it's crazy, but she remembers me. I rubbed her head in the same little spot that I did when I caught her all those years ago, and her little head melted right into my hand just like it did all those years ago. She feels a comfort in my voice as soon as she hears it. She is staying up in Hunter's room which happens to have that same bed in that she loved the day she was captured. Snoopy's little life has come full circle. I like to think that Aunt Mildred can see her precious little Snoopy and know that she is loved! I also like to continue our decade long argument in my head that Dasher was a better name for this dog than Snoopy.

1 comment:
once again your heart is so amazing....that is one lucky dog (i like the name dasher better) i know snoopy will have a great life in your family.
Post a Comment