Tuesday, November 06, 2012

I Voted 311/365

So, today I voted.  I exercised my right to vote.  I prayed earnestly before my pen crossed through the lines on my ballot, and then I got this nifty little sticker so everyone around me would know that yes, I voted.  My friends from around the US voted today, even some of my friends from China had their votes count with their absentee ballots.  I voted, they voted, and that is where it should end, but it's not. I have over the last few weeks realized how many of my friends, highly educated, liberal and conservative, Christian and non-Christian, Republican and Democratic, are complete idiots.  I haven't been able to get on Facebook without being bombarded with how each group makes snide attacks on the others.  Frankly, it's embarrassing.  My favorite are the posts that say things like "I don't normally make political updates, but...."(saw tons of those just today) Seriously, if you are going to make a blubbering idiot of yourself by saying anything, go ahead a say it without trying to make yourself look like you try to have restraint, you don't. If your statement deserves a qualifier, it probably shouldn't be said.  Here is the thing friends, if you know me, you probably know exactly how I voted.  You know what I believe and you know what which candidates resemble the characteristics that I would find admirable and worthy of supporting.  And, if I am your friend, then I can probably tell you how you are going to vote.  I have probably known how you would vote long before this election, and I have loved you whether or not your vote would agree with mine.  So why does the election give you all permission to slam one another in such a snide and rude way?  Oh that is right, it doesn't.  The constitution gives us that right, it gives us the right to free speech, but it doesn't mean we should always exercise it.....So, as I exercise my right to free speech now I will humbly ask you in four years to trust that I already know you.  I don't need you to tell me I'm stupid because we have different beliefs.....I want to still love you when I put on my next I voted sticker, but if you keep attacking me, I just may not want to be your friend anymore because I have never really been known to surround myself with mean spirited underhanded attackers.

And to all of you, those of you who are going to bed happy, and those of you that are going to bed thinking we are doomed, I can assure you that we should all rest completely in the arms of our father.  Even Daniel, was able to turn and praise God and recognize that God changes time, He changes the seasons, He sets up the Kings and disposes of them.  God is sovereign, and he is in control.  (Don't believe me, check out Daniel 2:20)  My God will use all circumstances for his good.  I will be praying daily for our President and I would urge each of you to do the same.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Not sure I could have had much more respect for you anyway, but if so, I do. Well said.

Cheri said...

Your post says what I know deep down. But, today, I have such a heaviness in my heart. I dread the future for my children. I dread the path our nation is taking. I'm sad that others think this path is ok. As you pray for the president, please pray for me.