Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Back to Camp 256/365

Today I got to go back to one of my old college stomping grounds with Noelle.  I love Camp ASCCA.  It has always been near and dear to my heart.  If you haven't heard of it, I encourage you to look it up, especially if you are one of my adoptive mom friends of a special needs kiddo.  This place is amazing.  I spent countless hours there in college working with all kinds of kids with disabilities, because Camp ASCCA is 100% accessible.  It opens up a whole new world for kids.  Even the zip line that Noelle did today was designed for any child to use.
I loved getting to share some of my old adventures with her today as her heart is very tender towards these things too.
ASCCA has added a few new things since I was there, and this has to be my favorite one.  Noelle loved it.  As we were coming home, she said, "I think I would like to work there someday. I never realized that ASCCA could help people do all of those things."  She and I talked about a testimony I had heard of a young lady who was paralyzed from the waist down.  This lady said that when she was little that she looked forward to summer so much because she would be seen as perfect by everyone that worked at ASCCA, that she would be accepted and loved just like she was during her brief summer weeks at camp.  Then when her parents deemed her to old to go to camp, she longed to feel like that again.  Then she discovered that our Heavenly Father felt the same way about her, and accepted Christ.  It was so good to be back today.  Even in the hustle and bustle of life, I often think back to special memories of ASCCA.

No comments: