Monday, November 12, 2012

My Light 317/365

I'm not really into stuff.  I'm not quite a minimalist, but I just don't like clutter.  I don't like nick knacks, or anything I may have to dust around.  However, this light has been a constant for me since I was a little girl.  This porcelain light belonged to my grandmother.  It sat on the dresser in her room and I admired it every time I went to her house.  I would turn the light on and just stare at her.  Something about this little lamp captivated me.  I will never forget the day my grandmother gave me this lamp.  She and I were supposed to make some cookies together, but she put me down for a nap and made the cookies while I was sleeping.  When I woke up, I was so disappointed about cookies.  She thought I would be excited because they were ready to eat, but instead my tears started flowing because I had really just wanted to spend that special time with her.  She felt so bad, so she went over to her dresser and unplugged her lamp then brought it over to me and said, "My precious Jenna, I want you to have this.  I know you love it, and will cherish it forever."  I remember the exact words.  I was 5 years old at the time, and less than a year later, she was gone.  For several years I turned the light on at night as a night light on top of my own dresser.  I would fall asleep staring at the captivating beauty of the lamp.  Then it got to where I just turned it on just to remember her.  Now I turn it on to think.  I still don't know exactly what it is about this thing, but I love it still.  Something else that I find amazing about this lamp is, that since the day my grandmother gave her to me, the light bulb has never burned out.  She still shines just as bright as she did the first time I laid eyes on her all those years ago.  I really wanted to reflect today on some things from my Bible study, so I just turned her on and got lost in her glow.  Then I began thinking how much more mesmerizing the site of God on the throne is going to be.  As my mind wandered in so many directions, I realized that God had given me some sweet answers as I was reflecting.  I am so thankful that years ago, my grandmother decided to mend my disappointed heart with a light that I didn't deserve.  And today I am thankful that my heavenly father chose to put his light in me even though again I am so undeserving.  I don't know how much longer this earthly light will shine, but I know that this heavenly light will shine forever.

No comments: